One of the reasons I choose to homeschool is to give our children the time and space to study the natural world around them. Rather than simply looking at pictures in a book, they are able to experience the world for themselves. Nature study is an essential part of a Charlotte Mason home education. I love this article from Simply Charlotte Mason about its importance. When I began learning about the importance of nature study, I felt lost on where and how to begin. I wasn’t sure how to teach it - especially since I am not incredibly knowledgeable about nature subjects myself. Then I found Exploring Nature with Children!
Exploring Nature with Children is truly one of a kind. It is a year-round nature study manual that dives in week-by-week into different topics, according to the months and seasons. Everything you need to teach your students about the natural world around them is offered in this gorgeous guide. Topics like the plant life cycle, weather, evergreens, and the moon are all covered in Exploring Nature with Children. Each week offers:
- Easy to understand information about each subject for the teacher to learn before teaching. They also include relevant pages to read in The Handbook of Nature Study to better prepare yourself for the lesson
- A nature walk & nature journal activity
- A picture book list for additional reading about the topic
- A selection of poetry that ties in with the theme of the week
- A piece of artwork that correlates with the topic of study, along with questions to prompt discussion
- Extensions activities such as crafts, writing ideas, and music appreciation
One of the best parts about this curriculum is that it isn’t age-specific. Lynn Seddon, the author, wrote this guide in a way that can easily be adapted to the youngest or the oldest of nature learners. We have dabbled in it up until now, but this school year I will be diving in head-first with it, and I am just so excited! I look forward to many, many years of using Exploring Nature with Children in our home education, beginning this Autumn. I hope you will join us! Follow Lynn on Instagram @raisinglittleshoots and see how others are using Exploring Nature with Children. You can purchase the full curriculum here.
Click here to read more of my curriculum reviews.